Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th!

We're here in Sunriver for a week of vacation.  We've never been here over 4th of July before, so it's a little more crowded than usual, but still relaxing and fun. We have an option to take a shuttle bus into the nearest city to see fireworks tonight, but as my kids continue to be terrified of them, we're planning to stay here at the vacation house instead.  I have a brand new bottle of Vanilla Stoli and some cranberry juice, so I'll be celebrating just as our founding fathers intended.

Before we had kids, our travel mainly consisted of going to Ritu's medical conferences.  These trips were in sunny locations, often at fancy resorts.  The room and Ritu's airfare were generally covered, so it was a fairly affordable way to travel.  Ritu would go to meetings and I would wander around the resort, or spend hours luxuriating in the room or by the pool with a book.  We'd eat out for every meal, expanding our culinary horizons along with our waistbands.

We tried this a few times with kids and it was always a disaster.  The last thing I want is for all of us to be crammed in one hotel room and expecting small children to behave in restaurants three times a day is an exercise in futility.  Over the years, I have become a huge fan of the vacation rental.  The kids have their own room and when they go to bed, we don't have to sit on the floor trying to read by a sliver of bathroom light.  We can come with a load of groceries and people can eat when they want without it being a group undertaking.  And I have a confession.  I love keeping a vacation house clean.  It never feels like work; it's exactly like having a grown up sized play house.  To take it further, my favorite kind of vacation is one with a washer and dryer.  Nothing makes me happier than to do laundry and take home suitcases full of clean clothes.  I'll even wash the rental towels throughout the week. 

You know, when I write it all out like that, it really sounds pathetic.  And just a tiny touch OCD.  Ah, well, no time for introspection.   I just noticed a toothpaste splatter on the mirror and while I don't have any Windex at my disposal, I saw a bottle of white vinegar in the pantry which should work just fine....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohmigosh....look on the floor to your left! Isn't that a crumb?  And I think there is a tiny spot of rust on the back screen door.  For heaven's sake, woman, clean it up.  Ohhhh...wait...is that what you'll use the vanilla Stoli for?

Anonymous said...

Love rentals too.....ours is in 2 weeks. I have never loved sweeping up sand so much. Have a great trip!