Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Good Morning

It's 6:50 A.M.  I got up early and had breakfast with Ritu before he had to be at his 7 AM shift.  The kids are still asleep, it's grey and rainy for the first time in weeks, the house is dark and quiet and  I'm sitting here with my second cup of coffee.  I've been contemplating the big tasks I need to get done around this house--weed the entire back yard and take down the wallpaper in the office--but I've decided next week will be the best time for that.  (That reminds me, I never took pictures from when we re-did the kids' bathroom last month.  I'll add that to my list.)

I still have more pictures from our vacation to post here.  The day we left Sunriver, we drove an hour and a half south to visit Crater Lake.  We've always wanted to go there, but it's 4 1/2 hours from Portland which makes it too far for a day trip and there isn't enough we'd want to do to merit spending the night.  From Sunriver, we were able to  leave around 8:30 in the morning, get there around 10 and spend some time driving around and stopping at viewpoints.  The views are heart-stoppingly glorious and even the kids were wowed by the whole thing. 

At the southern end of the lake is a small cluster of buildings and we decided to have lunch in a little buffet restaurant that adjoined a gift shop.  Gift shops are, of course, the main reason my children enjoy sight-seeing.  David has a growing collection of monuments (the Space Needle, the Gateway Arch) while Juliana is partial to snow globes and stuffed animals.

Over lunch, the children asked if they could get something at the shop.  I hemmed and hawed and said we'd have to see what was there.  Juliana suggested maybe a small stuffed animal.  I pointed out that she is already in possession of more stuffed animals than anyone needs.  She said, "But what if you see a stuffed animal that is so cute it makes you swear?"  I just looked at her, confused, and she clarified: "You know, like if you see one and it makes you say 'That is so F cute!'  Then could I get it?"  Ritu thought this would be a fine time to find out what she thought "F" stood for.  He's a helpful kind of guy.  I sputtered at him to stop that.  It was all I could do not to clamp my hands over my ears and go LA LA LA LA LA.  I know she thinks "freaking" is a bad word and I wanted to maintain my belief that that's what she meant. 

Sure enough, she ended up with a stuffed moose from the gift shop.  Holy shit, was that little motherfucker cute!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my God!  First wash your mouth out with this bar of Dial soap and then wash your fingers.  Then get the Lysol and spray your keyboard. Then just go to bed without any supper.

Anonymous said...

Funniest "cute kid" story ever.

Anonymous said...

<snort><snort><snort>