Thursday, June 28, 2007

I Stole All These Pictures Right From Jen's Blog.

Based on the current level of my PMS  (approximately 2 feet above my head), I am pretty sure I am not pregnant.  Sorry to disappoint you all, but let's face it, this is better than having to fling myself off an I-5 overpass. 

As Sarah keeps helpfully reminding me (And is it a rule that you have to be named Sarah or Jen to comment on this blog?), I've yet to share the Adventure In Grace from my girls' weekend.  Here goes.

My fabulous friend Julie--if you read my birthday blog, she's the one who wrote the charming story of getting the hotel DNA blanket caught in her braces.  That story stays 100% funny no matter how many times you hear it--has a gorgeous house that she kindly opens  up to us when we're able to coordinate these rare chances to get together.  The last time was three years ago and in the span of a few short days I managed to sit on her sunglasses and break them as well as take out one of her landscaping lights with my van.  I'm nothing if not consistent.

This trip, though, I was as careful as I could be.  I had a close brush the last day coming down the steps with my arms full of luggage, but all the decorative items stayed intact and I (prematurely) congratulated myself for making it through the weekend disaster-free.

With literally 10 minutes left, we gathered in Julie's kitchen to give her a surprise hostess gift.  It was a set of glass coasters that she had admired while we were at the Tacoma Museum of Glass (which is an amazing place) and that we'd secretly bought for her.  As you can see from the pictures, she was truly touched and overwhelmed.



It was precisely at this sweet moment, that I leaned against the wall in the kitchen.  Unfortunately, I leaned right against a large framed photograph of Julie's oldest son, who is away at college.  The picture frame was adorned with a couple of necklaces.  To make it even better, I think they were actually crucifixes.  My leaning against the picture caused it to crash to the floor.  On the way down, it gouged a piece of wood from the baseboard.  Luckily, Jen had her omnipresent camera and immortalized my mad scramble to pick things up. 



I was so close.  SO CLOSE.  In ten minutes we would've all parted ways without incident. 

But these women are my friends and if there's one thing I am certain of, it's that they will never let me live this down.  But that's ok.   Because to my credit, I was able to make Joy laugh so hard that she had to run across a ferry terminal and spit coffee into a trash can.  Where were the damn cameras then?

Here's a group photo (L to R:  Joy, Jen, Julie, Amy, and Me)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see:  Farewell to hopes of little Ronnie Donnie.  On the other hand, making someone spit coffee while running earns you several points.  Now if you can only learn to bungee cord yourself to a chair for the last 10 mnutes of a visit (any visit) you might just leave an house intact.

And no overpass self-flinging.  No no no.

Anonymous said...

Oh Janet, only you could do this. I must confess though I'm glad it wasn't something to do with the newly gifted coasters.

Looks like you all had a grand time!!! :oD

Anonymous said...

Damn, I missed you being pregnant.  But, I think I would probably miss you if you hurled yourself off an I-5 overpass.  And, if I promise to pay better attention, will you blot me out of that picture?  Gaaahhh.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Janet, sooo many thoughts, so little space!  Your always graceful self is evident in the photo of your trying to salvage the picture from the floor. I'm happy that your favorite girls' weekend moment didn't involve a Chippendale. The crucifixes were not there by accident (I am sure)...your great friend Julie most likely had her house blessed and sprinkled with holy water before your visit.  She had chicken's feet under your bed and salt around the outside of the house in a mad attempt to avoid having to call 911 during your visit.  You managed to stay, enjoy the time, and leave w/o causing her house to burn to the ground!  You ROCK! :) S

Anonymous said...

See......you weren't the only one with an adventure of grace.
And, I'm so grateful that the coffee didn't acutally come out of my nose too! Those SOAP PEOPLE are funny.

Anonymous said...

Thank god I hid my sunglasses and had my braces removed!

Make note of the cross of protection around my neck in the pic.  ;O)

BTW, I REALLYREALLY like your sil Sarah!  She's funnnnnnnneeeeeeeeee!