Sunday, February 18, 2007

Hi Rabbi!

My family joined a synagogue here about 4 years ago.  It's a fairly small, liberal congregation and we all felt at home there fairly quickly.  The majority of the families there are interfaith; hell, there's even another Hinjew couple.  Our congregation has gone through a number of transitions, but this past summer we contracted with a new rabbi and she has breathed a new life into things.  I was so pleased with the direction things were heading that I volunteered to become the Membership Chairperson.  It's been a lot of work, but I have had such a positive experience with this synagogue that I was thrilled to be able to share my sense of connection with others. 

The Membership position is also a board position.  Our meetings are actually pretty fun, especially since we instituted the practice of bringing chocolate and red wine.  This morning, though, we had a "board retreat".  I always hate going to things like that.  The whole idea of team-building makes me cringe and by God, if you try to make me role play, you are risking bodily harm.  But the fact of the matter is that when these things are done skillfully, you are left feeling re-focused and re-energized and it is time well spent.  (Well, not role playing, of course.  Role playing is always evil.) 

This retreat was well run and despite the fact that I have the worst cold known to man, I'm glad I went.  (There was zero role playing.)  At one point, the facilitator asked us all to share something about ourselves that other people didn't know.  Now, maybe it was my congested head that impaired my thinking, or maybe it was my glee at not having to role play, but here's what I decided would be the best little known fact to share with the synagogue board:  "I have a blog." 

Yeah, I'm sure that won't come back to bite me on the ass. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhh boy!  I'm laughing so hard, I can barely type!! Prepare to get bit.