Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Back To School

Today is the first day of school!  I'm sitting here in complete silence and I couldn't be happier.  David started 6th grade (his last year at the elementary school <sniff>) and Juliana is in third.  David has the same teacher as last year as he is in a 5/6 blend.  Juliana moved up to a new teacher, but it's the same one David had for 3rd and 4th grade so we were all pleased.  Here are the little angels this morning:



As has been our custom on the first day of school for the last three years, a group of us went out to lunch.  This year we went to a new Thai restaurant in town.  It's a lovely sunny place with those pretty jewel colored pendant lights hanging down.  As our group numbered 10, they pushed some tables together to accommodate all of us.  I was one of the last to arrive so I ended up at the far end of the table. After we ordered, I walked down to talk to my friends at the other end.  There was a long banquette running along one side, so I sat there and chatted until the waitress started bringing the food.  I got up to make my way back to my seat and as I stood, my head hit something hard.  Turns out that when they pushed together the tables, it left one of pendant lights just hanging over empty space.  Well, I shouldn't say empty space; in fact, it was the space my head was occupying when I stood up.  I tried to play it off and managed to walk back to my chair without clutching my head with both hands.  I'd hit the light with such force that it was still swinging madly on it's wire when the waitress returned and I saw her actually reach up and steady it with her hand.  Nothing says back to school like Thai food and a head injury.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing says brain aneurysm (closest thing to a head injury that I get) than reading your blog..............:)S
Uummmm.......I've never actually had a brain aneursym, but always prepare for it when you blog.......

Anonymous said...

But I see no photos...just a red square.  Have you bewitched the children in some way?  Or did you think, with your most recent head injury, that it was really a photo?