Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ready For Summer

It's 6:15 AM.  I got up at 5:30 and fed Spots and Emma their breakfast.  Emma and I had a nice long snuggle and now she's isolated in the "sick bay" which is our spare, small cage.   Ritu is going to drop her off at the vet on his way to work.  You'll be comforted to know that she seems calm and resolute.  I've seen no indication that she is struggling with the loss of her womanhood.

Now I'm sitting here with my coffee and laptop.  I considered getting back in bed, but today is the last day of school and I thought I'd enjoy some early morning quiet time.  I'm actually thrilled about school ending.  I'm so ready to be done with schedules and time commitments and packing those damn lunches.  (Here's a great post from Deana that sums up exactly how I feel about summer break.) 

Thus far, June has been cold and cloudy, so it's hard to get entirely into the summer mindset.  Allegedly, the weather is going to break today, but I'll believe it when I see it.  One of my friends is convinced the weather people are involved in a vast conspiracy to keep us all from cracking.  He says that every night he watches the news and they tell him that tomorrow will be cloudy, but the next day it will be sunny.  He makes it through the cloudy day and again checks the weather.  Again he is told tomorrow will be cloudy, but the NEXT day the sun will come out.  That elusive sunny day never arrives, but it's always right there keeping us hopeful.  (It's June 12th and I believe we've had exactly one sunny day this month.  And not only that, it's been cold.  Like, drag out your warm jacket cold.  Like, yesterday one of my friends had gloves on cold.)

I have lots of grandiose plans for the summer.  I got  energized the other day and decided to devote the summer to painting a bunch of rooms in my house.  (Hey!  It could happen!)  I want to find new places to go on nature walks.  I want to go berry picking.  I want to spend some time each day reading aloud to the kids.  Mostly I want to spend long lazy days sitting out in the greenspace with my friends while the kids run and play.

If you have fun ideas for summer activities, leave me a comment and let me know.  I saw a cool one that involved giving each kid a skein of yard and letting them wrap it all around a stand of trees until they've created a big spider web fort. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recipe for a kick ass summer: Have you totally awesome Sister in law and her fiancee (holy crap!) come visit!
I too want to go berry picking this summer. I am hoping to hit all off them, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. And then i intend to do something wonderful with them like a bake a pie or plead Will to make a delicious beer.

Anonymous said...

I saw in Family Fun magazine where you get a bunch of small orange cones.  You place half of them sitting up right (spread them out a lot I would think) and then randomly the other half of them are set up amongst them but knocked over.  Half of the people participating are supposed to upright the knocked over ones and half of the people are supposed to knock down the up right ones.  You give them a specific amount of time say 3 minutes then tally up at the end how many are up and how many are down.  Play as many rounds as you can until the kids realize it is a silly thing to be doing.

Anonymous said...

Oh just wait til Emma starts having hot flashes and grows hair on her face.  Oh. Maybe she already has a bunch of hair on her face.

I think a wonderful summer idea is taking many home-made dinners, pies, cakes, and soups to one's mother.  Oh yes, I think that's a lovely way to spend a summer.  And you can right away teach the young'uns about being the filling in the sandwich generation.