Thursday, April 3, 2008

Doh

So, here's something kind of funny about when your dad kills himself.  And by "kind of funny" I mean "horrifyingly morbid". 

Let's say your dad shoots himself and even though you don't know exactly how it happened (was he calculating and determined? scared and tearful?) and you only have a vague idea of where (in the hall outside the bathroom) you still manage to create an image of it that appears unbidden in your head when you try to do things like, say, fall asleep.  And after spending a few weeks with this image your mind returns to it with such frequency that it almost becomes comforting.  And then you suddenly remember Oh shit!  He was left-handed. And you have to adjust the image accordingly and start all over again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaarrrrggghh.  I never thought of that.  Oh, just go to sleep and stop thinking.
Maybe dream of sugarplums or something.  Oh arrrrrgggghh.

Anonymous said...

Oh really.........if we MUST go down this route...........I would have thought you would have naturally gone with the left handed perspective.   And, by the way, did I somehow manage to forget that your mom was part pirate?? WTF is aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh?  Is she secretly, even as she types, watching Spongebob and Mr. Krabs?  xoxox S:)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, sorry, sorry, but I have to post another comment.  Talk about having an image stuck in your mind.........I now have a picture of your momma (ALWAYS my favorite 'other mother' by-the-way) as a pirate......eye patch, hook, parrot (also with an eye patch and hook), and a peg-leg...gimping around a ship (Carnival cruise, no doubt) slurring aaarrrggghh out one side of her mouth.  LOL LOL....I have tears of joy in my eyes.  I think the jug of rum from which she is grogging is stuck on her hook............Love, love, love  S:)

Anonymous said...

the problem with having my grog stuck on my hook is that each time I swig, I whap myself in the face.  <sigh and arrrgghh>

Anonymous said...

Honestly!  Here's what I tell Hallie to think about when she can't sleep, (some of which is plagerized from Horton Hears a Who, a movie made by the devil to torture parents):  think of a sparkly world, where everything is colorful, and (plagerized part) where everyone is a pony, eats rainbows and poops butterflies.  How's THAT for an image?

Maybe your mom, The Pirate, could just whack you with her hook and you wouldn't have to dream at all?!  (I mean that in a loving, caring way, of course.)

Anonymous said...

Aw shit, Janet.  I just checked in.  I'm so sorry.  But lord this entry is so something I'd do.  How are your kids doing?