Thursday, December 28, 2006

Singing

The other day, David was singing something as he got himself a glass of water.  He doesn't sing much, but when he does you can usually make out the tune.  (Juliana, of course, sings day and night like any good little chirpy fairy girl.  Unfortunately, it's in a nonstop tuneless drone.  Not only can't she carry a tune, but her singing speed is permanently set at dirge.   I'll find her in the recliner with the lyric booklet from the Cheetah Girls CD singing the songs a capella.   Turns out the only time the Cheetah Girls sound good to me is when they are drowning out my daughter's singing.  But she loves to sing and I encourage her to do so.  I sing with her--loudly and at an exaggerated pace in an attempt to get her to find some rhythm.  Any rhythm.)

So, the other day when David was singing, Juliana says to him, "David, you have a nice singing voice.  You would make a good singer, like maybe.....in the circus."  I looked at her for a moment as it slowly dawned on me that she had pulled off a nearly perfect insult of her big brother.  It was said in such kind, complimentary tones.  There was the perfect pause before she said, "in the circus".  It was the kind of insult that takes a moment to sink in.  Hmmm a circus?  People do perform there.  Is she saying he has a performance quality voice?  Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute there!  The circus???

It was beautiful.  And I don't know why, but it just gets funnier and funnier the more I think about it.  "In the circus" has become our family's version of "yo mama".  "Yes, I do think that shirt looks good on you....in the circus."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL that IS funny.  

Anonymous said...

I had so hoped that chirpy fairy girl would not turn into a major bastion of sarcasm (as her mother just might have) but, alas, the pull is too strong.
And you know what?  David DOES have a nice voice.  I don't know why CFG should sing at dirge speed when she does everything else at jitterbug pace???

Anonymous said...

I love these stories.  You have very bright kids.

Anonymous said...

LOve it.  It's so nice when they develop good comic timing and an ear for good sarcasm.

Anonymous said...

LOLOL!  Does Juliana mind if I steal from her act?  "in the circus" is perfectly fitting for you.  I'm borrowing it!

Anonymous said...

WTF dude?  Post already.