Friday, August 1, 2008

Juliana's One Woman Show

Over 4th of July, we spent a few days in Seattle.  I enjoy traveling;  I like the sight-seeing, the change of scenery and being removed from the daily grind of meals and laundry.  But there is one thing about traveling that makes me never want to leave home: having my entire family in one hotel room.  When the kids were younger, it was mainly about trying to get them to fall asleep with us right in the room.  Many an evening was spent sitting on the floor outside the bathroom trying to read by the crack of light filtering through the door.  Now that the kids are older,  we have fights about who has to sleep together.  Often we'll end up with a boy bed and a girl bed.  On our first night in Seattle, we ended up getting a roll away bed so the kids didn't have to sleep together and so that I could actually share a bed with my husband.  (This of course led to a $20 charge and more fighting over who had to sleep on the roll away.  (That would be David as he is the high maintenance sleeper in the family.))

That night, I fell asleep fairly early but around 11:30 I was awakened by Juliana making fussy sounds.  I got up and checked on her, but the covers were pulled over her head and I thought she was asleep.  I climbed back in bed but soon heard her thrashing around and whimpering some more.  I got up yet again and pulled the covers back only to find her on the verge of tears saying, "I'm so tired by I can't sleep because of Daddy's loud snoring!" 

I stifled a laugh, snuggled with her, and she fell right asleep.  In the morning she put on this one woman show to demonstrate her night. How I wish I'd had a video camera.  Hopefully the still photos will do the trick.

"This was David"

(gentle snoring)


"This was Daddy"

( loud snoring)


"This was Mommy"


(such angelic sleeping!)


"This was me"


(gritted teeth and frustrated whimpering)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The good thing about what a lame-ass blogger you are is that it isn't hard to catch up when I'm a lame-ass reader.  Hi!