Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Emma Redux

When we got back from Vegas, I noticed Emma was acting a little funny.  It looked like she had a bald patch behind one of her ears and she kept shaking her head.  I figured she was itchy from ear mites and took her to the vet for what I assumed would be a quick fix.  As soon as the vet mentioned how unusual it would be to see ear mites in a guinea pig, I knew I was doomed.  Turns out, of course, that she didn't have ear mites.  She had a flare up of this which I'm sure you all remember from April.  Last time, the ear infection caused the head tilt which in turn led to corneal abrasions in her right eye.  Now her ear is infected again and she has findings in both eyes.  Since she has only minimal tilt this time, the eye issue seems to be related to a systemic infection, not abrasions.  Last time I spent two weeks administering three medications.  This time I have FOUR.  Here's a look at my Guinea Pig Pharmacy.

From left to right we have:

1.  Antibiotic eye drops,  2-3 drops in both eyes every 12 hours.

2.  Anti-inflammatory ear drops, 2-3 drops in the right ear every 12 hours.

3.  Acidophilus capsules.  These you have to open up and mix with 2 ml of water and syrninge feed her twice a day.

4.  Antibiotic, .6 ccs syringe fed twice a day. 

As before, the acidophilus has to be given 45 minutes before the antibiotic.  That way all the good bacteria in her gut doesn't get destroyed by the antibiotic.  Plus, it means the medicine giving process takes 45 minutes twice a day.

What makes this especially fun is the addition of the ear drops.  The vet and the tech both warned me how important it was to wear rubber gloves while handling them.  Apparently they contain  DMSO  which is a controversial substance and has only limited approval by the FDA for certain medical conditions.  The concern has to do with the fact that it is so quickly absorbed once it gets on your skin.   When I asked the tech at the vet's office what would happen if it got on me, I Swear To God she said that my bones would start to dissolve.  Ritu did some research and couldn't find that particular side effect, but did say it's used in other countries as a topical analgesic.  He finds it somewhat less than concerning.  I don't understand why I have to use gloves to touch it, but it's perfectly ok to squirt it directly into my two pound guinea pig's head.  (Oh wait, sorry, she's up to two pounds and one ounce now.  Such a big girl!)  Guess what a guinea pig does when you give her toxic ear drops!  Did you guess shake her head spraying them right in your face?  Bingo!  Anybody know where I can get a welder's mask and some Skele-Grow?

The good news is that other than the original head shaking, she hasn't seemed too sick.  The bad news is that her generally healthy state leaves me much less sympathetic to her plight.  Also, slightly more resentful of the $122 this visit cost me.  Hopefully this round of drugs will solve the problem once and for all and may even cure her of that residual tilt.  Lucky for her she's so dang cute.

 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you sense any irony here?  The same person who watches the wild cam in Africa to see the free wild beasties pours bone dissolving drops in her pet pig.
(And pig she is.....Emma and Spots would eat forever and would eat anything you put in their cage. )

Anonymous said...

Go emma!  She is awfully cute.

Anonymous said...

You're a very dedicated pet owner, is all i can say.  You must have a strong maternal instinct.

Anonymous said...

You are a very good pig mommy.  The rodent rescuers of the world thank you.